Monday, October 09, 2006

What truely matters

I was getting ready to post about another poor showing by the Steelers last night, or the most recent meddling of the US government in their attempt to protect us from ourselves by banning internet gambling...

but then I read this (found it on Mean Gean's site...thanks for pointing it out Gean), and realized that there are much more important things going on than me rambling about a Steeler's loss.

It's been realitively easy to start to orget about the war going on in Iraq. We don't watch the national news, as the kids are usually in the room and I don't feel the need to explain the guns and bombs and flames to them....life will hit them sooner or later...I just want it to be much later. The newspaper is pretty much a conduit of sports news, comics and entertainment for me. I don't read the front news sections on a regular basis, as there is little good news reported, only another mugging, murder, car crash, political investigation, etc. reported. Who needs it?

When all is said and done....here's what truly matters to me:
- Jen...my partner for 8 years tomorrow...she amazes me with her dedication to the kids and me day in and day out. I would be lost without her.
- Danielle, Ashley and Alan...the best kids a father could ask for....even if I did help Danielle write a letter asking one of her kindergarden classmates to be her boyfriend over the weekend...he said yes. I'm shoppingg for a nice baseball bat in the near future.
- A stable job...while it may not be the best job in the world, it's air conditioned, comfortable and relatively low stress.
- Quality friends...Burton, Ogre, Bruce, Fitzy and the rest....if you're reading this know that I value your friendship very highly. We are long overdue for a get together for some beer and poker.
-and Family...after just spending alot of time with my dad and brother, I am lucky to have them in my life. Jen's family is great as well, having accepted me into their family from day one. I wish I could say that things have improved recently with my mom, but she stills seems to ignore that we exist here in Columbus, so I'm not sure where that will all end up in the future.

Poker doesn't matter....nor does Wow, or the Steelers or Buckeyes in the grand scheme of things. Not to say I don't enjoy them, and am passionate about them, but my life is full and complete without them.

That being said....to those on the BPT....I've spotted you 2 weeks now...I'm coming with guns blazing from here on out. I will be going to Australia in January to represent the bloggers. Take that to the bank.

Time to get back to work.

ttfn.

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Fitz said...

Thanks for the kind words, and even though my blog is more of a running journal...it was nice to read about the more important things in life.

And our group of friends is definitely getting together for some poker and beer, how about one of the two Buckeye games left on the schedule I am not going to? (Illinois and Northwestern)...perhaps a Saturday get together is not far fetched :-)

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you very much for that, Mike, :) Of course, I feel the same, and always take time to think about you and Burton and the crew up north that's never forgot about me even though I never get to see y'all. That means a ton to me. Much love to you, your family and everyone up north. Truly the most important thing.

Bruce

 

Post a Comment

<< Home